Monday, September 17, 2012

What's on the Menu?

Cheddar Broccoli Corn Muffins!!!
The other day I noticed that I haven't used my kitchen for a whole week other than to use the blender and make a green smoothie or something.  This prompted me to make a big dinner for me and my friends.  I decided to make jambalaya, but I had no clue what else to make with it because the dish itself contains just about everything you need in a meal. So I searched the internet and there was a general consensus that that corn bread would go great with it.  So I thought to myself how can I take this cornbread to the next level? Then answer... add veggies and cheese to the mix.  This is the recipe that I came up with and it turned out amazing... or at least that's what all my friends said when they tried it.

Recipe:
  • 2 boxes of cornbread mix (I prefer Jiffy)
  • 1 can creamed corn
  • 1 cup of chopped broccoli (I also added cauliflower)
  • 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup of milk
  • 1 egg
Preheat the oven to 400 'F.  Make sure the veggies are cooked before adding them to the mix.  I used frozen vegetables and steamed them for 7-10 minutes, but you can also boil them.  Add everything together, but save about 1/4 cup of cheese to melt on top of the muffins later.  The mix should be kind of chunky and not very liquidy.  Grease a muffin pan prior to filling.  The cups should be filled about 1/2-3/4 of the way full.  Bake for 20 min. then sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese then bake for another 2 min.  Allow them to rest before serving, but they are best when served hot.  Hope you enjoy this recipe, and feel free to substitute the veggies with your favorite.  I think next time I'll try it with spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment